miércoles, 9 de abril de 2014

Some thoughts about Iron Fist: The Living Weapon #1

The origin of Iron Fist told from a different perspective.

During his current date, Danny Rand starts reminiscing his past involving the death of his parents which was caused by the obsession of his father and his objective to claim the power that now Danny possesses. Just in time to be attacked by a group of ninjas that apparently have a connection to the birth of Iron Fist.

I must say that I was highly anticipating this new series, I have been a Danny Rand fan since the excellent series The Immortal Iron Fist written by Matt Fraction and Ed Brubaker and I wanted to see how Kaare Andrews' current work compares to that iconic run.

Frankly, I think Andrews does a quite good job at this story. Focusing on a quite grim and gritty perspective on Iron Fist, the writer creates a lot of flashbacks to his early days and exploring hidden aspects of his origin which gives a pretty surprising and interesting take on the character. The dialogue works pretty well too, it's both creative and emphasizes the motivations of the protagonist quite clearly.

I have one complaint though, I don't know if this truly fits Danny's character. I mean, the character hasn't usually been this serious and dark hero that keeps contemplating the death of his parents to reflect his own psyche. It's just a bit out of character.

Andrews' art works wonders though, it certainly impresses from a storytelling point with unique segments and scenes being in terms of flashbacks or present time fights. Simply fantastic.

Promising issue, it may be a bit uncharacteristic of Iron Fist but it works as a new take I suppose.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario