domingo, 20 de abril de 2014

Some thoughts about Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Hello everybody, I bet you're surprised to see an entry about a movie again here but it's true (I thought that by this point I would have gotten a decent camera to do a Vlog but alas).

I know that I'm late to the party (as I usually am) to comment about this film but I just saw it and I wanted to share some thoughts about it. So what did I think about Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Honestly, this might be not only a superior film than the first one but also one of the best pure superhero movies ever, up there with Joss Whedon's The Avengers for me. I know those are some big words but hear me out.

The story is based on the beginning of the now classic run written by Ed Brubaker in the Captain America series so for everybody who has read the comic previously, the mystery about The Winter Soldier might not be a true surprise but as usual, I'm going to make these thoughts spoiler-free for people who are new to the character.

We behold several of the plot-points from the first movie coming into fruition in this one and it's really great to see how Steve Rogers is able to adapt into this new society, there are a lot of intense and emotional moments especially one when Steve has to visit one of the most important persons from his past, these segments are really well executed and it makes you even more invested in the character than in the last film. The story also contains a lot of twists that might not be that surprising for people who know the comics but for a new audience they will most certainly be pretty shocking.

Speaking of characters, the whole cast works incredibly well on their own and with one and other. Chris Evans continues to deliver a surprisingly great performance as Captain America but with even more personality this time. Scarlett Johansson is brilliant as the Black Widow, simply a role that she has made her own. Anthony Mackie as the Falcon was a great supporting character who played a fantastic role as Steve's partner. Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, what more do you need to know?

The biggest complaint I had with this movie was Sebastian Stans as The Winter Soldier, not because it was a bad performance per se, but because he sadly didn't have many lines nor emotional moments as someone might expect.

About the action, my God, this was an practically perfect movie on those terms. The fights are incredibly well choreographed, the effects are really well designed and applied and the pacing is fantastic, there's simply not a dull moment in this film. My favorite part was whenever the Falcon was using his armor to fly, they were just wonderful scenes.

Anyway, as I mentioned this is certainly one of the best superhero movies ever and DC should take some notes from this about how to execute one properly.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario