miércoles, 1 de marzo de 2017

Some thoughts about America #1

The world needs America.

Miss America Chavez has been trying to save the whole universe for years now and her next adventure might take her to even stranger places.

Let me start by saying this: I have been a fan of this character for a while now, not exactly since her creation but since her appearance in Kieron Gillen's Young Avengers which pretty much redefined her for a new generation and made her quite popular. Now, she finally gets her own deserved series which made me initially quite excited so how does it fare?

First, let me say that I love the fact that they're using the title of a classic Salsa song like "Pa' fuera! Pa' la calle!" as the title of this story.

Second, that is sadly one of the few things that I love about this issue.

Gabby Rivera brings the story of America immediately stating how popular and loved she is around the world and how overly-cool she is and that might be a bit over-selling her premise. Yes, America is a cool character but this issue tries to present her as something even more than that and it feels too fan wankery for its own good.

That being said, that's not what bothers me the most, what bothers me the most is the dialogue. It tries too damn hard to sound distinctive and witty but it only ends-up sounding unnatural and awkward with every character, especially America saying impossible and stupid lines every five seconds (Seriously, "What the holy menstruation"? WHO says that?).

The plot itself is not bad and it has a decent content and pace but the narration is so bad that it simply takes you out of the story.

Oh, and America punches Hitler which is cool since is Hitler but this makes me believe that it was only to exploit the current political angle from some writers and is just a bit too much for my taste.

Joe Quinones handles the artwork and is gorgeous with a pretty cartoony and expressive style that gets the best from every scene.

Other than that, I can't really recommend this one. Wish it would have been better.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario