miércoles, 14 de octubre de 2015

Some thoughts about Captain America: Sam Wilson #1

Being Captain America is not enough.

Sam Wilson has been trying to live up to the expectations that people have about the mantle but he has his own ideas about where to take such role and he's decided to protect the nation in a more personal way.

Before starting, I must say that the biggest reason why I'm picking this up is because I really enjoyed Rick Remender's work on the character that made me invested into his role. Now, another author that I like, Nick Spencer, is taking over the title so is this a good continuation of Sam's career?

I would say it is but in a different way.

For one, while Remender focused on the more bombastic, world-threatening stories for his run, Spencer seems to be concentrating on a smaller scale by showing what Sam thinks of his role and the current state of his country. It's certainly a more political take that touches a few interesting points that some people will most likely enjoy.

Plus, Sam seems to have a more "everyman"-ish portrayal which is okay since that is one of Spencer's strenghts and the way how such depiction contrast with the rest of the story is well-handled. The plot itself is not so important but it will probably receive more development in the future.

Daniel Acuña is in charge of the artwork and his style is truly unique and appealing although I personally find his characters lacking detail at some points.

Solid issue overall, I think I prefered Remender's first issue overall but this might end-up being a nice read.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario