miércoles, 5 de febrero de 2014

Some thoughts about Ms. Marvel #1

Meet the all-new and unique Ms. Marvel.

Kamala Khan is a pretty normal and nerdy girl who likes to hang -out with her friends and write fanfiction about her favorite superheroes, especially Captain Marvel. However, after being ridiculized on a party, her life will become completely different when her biggest wish comes true.

First of all, I must say that I love that cover, is just a nice homage to Peter David's first issue on Supergirl.

Second this was a surprisingly impressive first issue. I wasn't really paying that much attention to the media once that it was announced that a Pakistani girl would become the new Ms. Marvel so I didn't care about this development but I swear that this creative team knows how to sell it.

G. Willow Wilson tells a story of different cultures but is still one that you can easily relate to. Kamala is a pretty typical yet quirky and dorky girl who you immediately want to root for, the way she looks up to superheroes is also pretty genuine and frankly, adorable. It's a quite understandable situation.

Still, I must say that my favorite aspect of this issue was the art. Adrian Alphona is a wonderful penciller, his style is quite expressive and distinctive, I felt like I was reading an indie book instead of one about superheroes and I mean that as a compliment.

This could easily become one of my favorite Marvel series if this creative team continues this kind of work.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario