miércoles, 29 de enero de 2014

Some thoughts about Worlds' Blandest Annual #1

An early story about Helena and Kara when they were Robin and Supergirl respectively.

What you see is what you get.

Let's start for the obvious: This Annual didn't help to develope the characters in any way and neither told us anything new or unique about these superheroines.

"What no development on a Worlds' Finest issue?! Your words are lies!!!"

I can assure that is the truth and worst of all, this is supposed to be an Annual which means that we think we will get at least a serviceable tale. However, this issue not only fails at exploring more of Earth 2's past but also fails as a prelude for "First Contact", the upcoming crossover between Batman/Superman and this series since it doesn't present anything whatsover that would continue the story.

Now that I'm already complaining, let's talk about how the cover of this issue is basically worthless. When you see it you may think that "Oh awesome, we will know more about the Wonder Woman of Earth 2" but nooo! We are just told information about her that we already know, even a single issue of Batman/Superman where she appeared serves better as an exploration of character.

But those are not the only problems, this issue had really bad pacing. The moment that a segment of a story ends another one immediately begins with no rhyme or reason, it's just awkward.

I will give Levitz this though, this was the best representation of Karen I have seen written by him so far. Hard to believe that she's actually not useless here.

I swear to God that I didn't recognize the art of Diogenes Neves when I first saw here. He's one of my favorite pencillers but by having to follow the style already established on this book his works suffers a lot, I would say that it's pretty bland. What's with this title that brings the worst of people?

Average Annual from a terrible series. I can't believe that I'm still reading this.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario