domingo, 4 de mayo de 2014

Some thoughts about The Amazing Spider-Man 2

Hello everyone (I will keep saying this for every movie despite that I make an entry every frikking day), I'm here once again to talk about one of the most recent films based in a comic book and today I'm going to discuss none other than the anticipated The Amazing Spider-Man 2 directed by Marc Webb.

I suppose that I need to talk a bit about which were my opinions about the first movie. I frankly thought that it was a pretty well crafted movie with some really dramatic segments, pretty good casting and writing and a much more realistic tone than in the original Spider-Man trilogy directed by Sam Raime so what did I thought about this film?

I have mixed opinions.

The story focuses this time in some of the ramifications about the ending of the previous film, mainly the relationship between Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy. However, there's no time for romantic scenes since a pathetic man known as Max Dillon has become the supervillain Electro and to make matters worse, Harry Osborn has returned to Peter's life. For people familiar with the character you must know where this is going so I'm not going to spoil the movie.

One of the main problems that I have with this movie is that, in comparison with the first one, is truly overexpository. There were a lot of scenes where the characters start narrating the plot and it feels unnatural at times, not to mention that a lot of scenes seem a bit rushed due that the first film was mostly a self-contained story but I will touch that point in a while. Let's talk about the actors shall we?

Andrew Garfield returns to his role as Peter Parker and he does a pretty good job just like in the first movie. However, I noted some flaws in his performance now, he does a pretty funny Peter and Spider-Man. there's no doubt about that, you can help but laugh at every comedic scene he performs but he tends to fail a bit when he goes dramatic, I mean at times when he wants to look sad he just makes this really unintentional goofy face that makes you giggle instead (I really wish I had a camera to show you this) and I don't know if this is just me but, he doesn't portray a geeky Peter Parker as well as the funny Peter Parker, that's one of the aspects where I thought that Tobey Maguire was superior, he really knew how to perform a dorky Peter while Garfield simply doesn't. Plus, he looks much older in this installment so it doesn't make me believe he's in high school anymore.

Emma Stone as Gwen Stacy is perfect, no complaints here whatsoever. She portrays such an incredibly competent Gwen and her dynamic with Garfield is just wonderful, they have great chemistry which makes the ending much more tragic. Sally Field as Aunt May is good as usual but unfortunately she doesn't do much in this movie.

Now, let's talk about the biggest flaw: The villains.

Jamie Foxx portrays Max Dillon/Electro as a really sad guy who doesn't have anyone in his life and suddenly becomes obsessed with Spider-Man because he saves him. Okay, first of all, I think we have seen this kind of supervillain origin several times where the antisocial guy becomes mad with power and revenge, they tried to pull the best of it but I still feel like a pretty cliche story. As such, Foxx does a decent performance but I think it could have been much stronger with a better script.

Then it comes Harry Osborn played by Dane DeeHan. This is actually a pretty sympathetic character and the writers do a pretty good job at fleshing out his motivations and desperation towards its final confrontation with Spider-Man. Still, I don't think it worked so well to establish him as one of the most important persons in Peter's life, he wasn't even present in the first movie and now we have to believe that he's Peter's best friend? It doesn't work that way. Still, they did the best they could with what they had and actually made it work, but I think his final scenes were still a bit rushed, I believe he was an stronger villain than Electro and could have become better if he had more development.

About Rhino? He's played by Paul Giamatti and he only appears at the beginning and at the ending as the proper Rhino. I feel a bit mislead by the advertisement.

The effects are pretty good, especially in the fight scenes and the segments where Spider-Man is doing acrobacies, but it is just me or the Spider-Man CGI model doesn't look as good as in the previous film? I don't know.

Decent movie overall but it's still inferior to the first one.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario