miércoles, 19 de noviembre de 2014

Some thoughts about The Multiversity: Pax Americana #1

What is the Pax Americana and what does it represent for this world?

The greatest and at the same time, most flawed superheroes from earth have joined to protect it no matter if they do it in terrible ways. Mysteries abound and these heroes might not be able to solve all of them.

Is safe to say that a lot of people, including myself, have been waiting for this issue in particular.

Not only because is the return of the superstar creative team of Grant Morrison and Frank Quite who have worked in some of the best projects from the comic industry, but also because this is Morrison's version of Alan Moore's classic story, Watchmen in which he explores some of the same themes that Moore used except with the characters that Moore wasn't allowed to use.

So does it delivers?

Okay, I must say that I will need to read it a few more times to get everything but I really enjoyed what I could get.

Morrison makes fun of these characters since the beginning, about how far away they're from your typical superhero and how their flaws affect their lives. I must say that I really loved the humourous exchange between Blue Beetle and The Question ("Erectile dysfunction", "You're so deep in the closet you need to pay rent in Narnia") which also mocks the characters of Nite Owl and Rorschach from Moore's work. It makes the story pretty self-aware.

There are some really complex concepts of course. For example Captain Atom is an "autistic God" and you can't help but feel sorry for him despite of the amount of powers he has. The mystery about the President's murder continues to play during the course of the issue as well as the whole "Reverse" theme.

Frank Quitely brings Morrison's script to full life thanks to his profound, detailed and imaginative artwork which makes every escene incredibly to read and watch. I exactly what I was hoping for.

This was terrific and I still need to re-read it to see if I can find new things which means you will get your money worth.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario