miércoles, 8 de mayo de 2019

Some thoughts about Batman & the Outsiders #1

The Outsiders are on their own.

Black Lightning is not sure if he can lead this new team and he doesn't expect Batman to help him which is especially worrying because of a mysterious threat that is rising.

A new book begins and, speaking as someone who is not familiar with the reasons behind the formation of this team, I'm kinda lost.

Bryan Hill has been hired to write a new incarnation of this classic group, I have no problems with this since I'm a fan of this team, the problem is that I don't think is that good for newcomers. Hill is touching upon a few plot-points that possibly happened during Detective Comics (I'm not sure, James Tynion IV's awful run made me drop the book completely) and they seem interesting enough but I believe the job of an issue 1 is to give the readers enough info without relying too much into previous events and that's what this issue does.

That being said, the characterization seems solid at least. Hill uses Outsiders staples like Black Lightning and Katana and they're appropriately portrayed, especially Jefferson who has been handled the responsibility of team leader and the writer manages to get his voice accurately enough, particularly because of the situation they're facing and the people he has to work with. The plot progresses at a fast pace despite that I'm not familiar with many of the already mentioned plot-threads.

Dexter Soy handles the art and is beautiful as expected with good looking characters and strong storytelling.

Not bad but it needs a bit more to put me on board.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario