martes, 19 de enero de 2021

Some thoughts about Future State: Immortal Wonder Woman #1

Who can face Darkseid now?

Diana is one of the few heroes who has survived in the future and just in time to meet her greatest challenge once that the Lord of Apokolips reappears.

We open this week with even more Future State titles and I don't know if is because I have been paying little to no attention to the continuity in this line but there are some weird inconsistencies going on already.

First of, the issue opens with Diana talking to the ghost of Bruce Wayne... which pretty much contradicts what happens in Dark Detective because the world only "thinks" Bruce is dead when he's actually alive and hiding. This immediately made me scratch my head and there might be an explanation about how this is further in the Future State continuity but for anyone who doesn't know anything about this alternate future like me, things seem off.

Aside from that, I think both Becky Cloonan and Michael Conrad do a fine job at depicting Diana as well as the time the story is suited in. The Amazon race also get a nice little portrayal (that ends rather badly) and Darkseid gets a more, let's say, "Superman Animated" characterization which I'm sure will offend New Gods purists but I don't think is particularly bad.

However, I don't think that the whole segment is anything beyond "fine". Story is okay, characterization is okay, pacing is okay, everything is just okay. Nothing remarkable from a writing perspective.

Jen Bartel's artwork is amazing though with a beautiful style that depicts most of scenes in a gorgeous manner with beautiful characters.

There's actually second feature starring Nubia which is cool since I feel she's underutilized in the Wonder Woman mythos and L.L. McKinney does an acceptable job at portraying her I guess but the problem is that the story is mostly a set-up for what's coming next and for that reason it can be a bit dull (and the dialogue can be too heavy compared to the previous segment). Alitha Martinez' art is more conventional but is also expressive and detailed.

Overall, a passable entry. Not sure if I can completely recommend it.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario