domingo, 2 de diciembre de 2018

Some thoughts about Mister Miracle #12

Can the show go on for Mister Miracle?

Scott has done the impossible and has escaped from Darkseid but now he will have to choose if he wants to make the ultimate escape or not.

I know I'm pretty late on these thoughts but since the year is about to end and I need to make my Top Ten lists, I needed to cover the finale of this book.

I have my complaints about Tom King's work, everyone knows it. I believe he can be an extremely pretentious writer which is pretty obvious from his dialogue, themes and stories. That being said, he definitely struck gold since the beginning with Mister Miracle, King created an extremely emotional story that never forgot that it was about the people that exist within it and allowed to explore interesting concepts about depression, relationships and life as a whole while keeping the core of the protagonists intact.

This conclusion is no different and in fact leaves a lot of things in an ambiguous tone. King has explored the idea about Scott can escape from everything as long he wants to, even death and now that he managed to escape from Darkseid, he has finally found his perfect life but alas, nothing can be perfect. I can talk too much about this without spoiling the whole issue but on the other hand, I'm so late with this that I might as well do it.

The world where Scott currently is is some sort of prison where he's willingly in. The reasons behind is that this allows him to get the peaceful life he wanted along his family but at the same time, there's a certain amount of doubt about his decision. Many of the New Gods start questioning his decision while others support him because of it, King touches a few compelling ideas about how no one is right or that all of them could be which I believe is the best decision for such a delicate topic like this.

Speaking from a story perspective, I believe this makes sense due that Scott has been trying to really hard to gain happiness since the beginning of the book while leaving the final page open for a subsequent escape and so, while the ending is not really positive from all points, it still achieves a satisfying enough resolution for all of the characters and trust me, I can't say that about most of King's stories.

Plus, there's also a few cool references here and there like how Scott decided to not go to the current DCU continuity because he didn't want to handle all those "crisis and continuities" which was the predictable route. Most importantly though, considering the recent passing of Stan Lee, it was cool to see Funky Flashman supporting Scott's family until the end.

Mitch Gerads remains in art duties and his work is outstanding as always. He continues to elevate every page, every panel to another level thanks to his emotional characters and fantastic storytelling.

Fantastic finale. Wish that more King books were like this.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario