martes, 15 de junio de 2021

Some thoughts about Static: Season One #1


How will Virgil Hawkins' life change?

The Big Bang event changed many people around the city and this has affected Virgil the most since he doesn't know how to control his own powers but he will need to if he wants to stop a superpowered bully.

I will be honest here and admit that I'm not that familiar with Static Shock, nor the Milestone characters for that matter. My introduction to the universe was with the animated series many years ago but I know enough that DC hasn't handled the property that well beyond the show. Many failed attempts at revitalizing the series with the biggest failure being the New 52 title.

I was seriously expecting and hoping that DC would learn from their mistakes and create an accessible new entry to introduce readers to the most famous Milestone character.

Sadly, this isn't that, at least not quite.

Maybe is my fault for not realizing that there actually was a Milestone Returns #0 issue that apparently was the proper beginning of this series but that is a bit of a letdown isn't it? One would expect that the actual secret origin of the protagonist would be properly explored here but that doesn't happen aside from a very short flashback that barely describes the situation.

The writing is serviceable at best. I don't think Vita Ayala does a bad job at handling the story, characterization or dialogue but at the same time, she doesn't really excel at it, there's nothing here that makes me really invested into the future of these characters from what I've seen so far which is really bad since I used to like Virgil in the animated series but here I feel like he doesn't have enough personality. Mind you, there are a few interesting developments concerning what happened after the Big Bang and the people affected by it but again, the execution is not that exciting.

ChrisCross' artwork is pretty solid at least with a beautiful semi-cartoony style that depicts every scene perfectly.

So, this was mostly a set-up and not a really appropriate one. Let's see where things go though.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario