miércoles, 27 de febrero de 2019

Some thoughts about Justice League Odyssey #6

Can the Justice League work alongside Darkseid?

Cyborg believes his new team needs to stay together and they might even need Darkseid help for that but things are about to get complicated for all them once that they arrive to a new planet.

This is what happens when I don't pay attention to solicitations. I didn't know that Joshua Williamson was off the book and being replaced by Dan Abnett and that automatically makes me worry. I don't think that Abnett is necessarily bad, he can be solid but Williamson is a much better writer in my book and this opening issue pretty much confirms that believe.

There's a clear distinction between runs and writing styles. For one, Abnett opens with one of his typical third-person narrations and really takes me out of the story and I don't know why writers keep implementing that in this day and age, is never subtle and most of the time is pretty heavyhanded. That being said, there's an interesting focus on Darkseid which is hinting at yet another change of direction for him... which is retrospective I should have seen coming since this book has sadly suffered from many changes of direction because of editorial and has made its biggest talents leave.

This is also obvious in the characterization for the main group. The dynamic is changed for the most part with some of the characters acting differently from when Williamson was writing them (Azrael being less arrogant and Starfire being angrier) and the dynamic changing a bit with a hint to a possible romantic relationship between Victor and Jessica (which I'm not really anticipating).

Carmine Di Giandomenico handles the art and is really good as always thanks to the energy and style.

Aside from that, I don't think this is that promising and not sure how it will continue.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario