martes, 1 de diciembre de 2020

Some thoughts about Metal Men #12


Can Will Magnus be reunited with his Metal Men?

The team is together to fight the forces of the Dark Multiverse but even if they manage to win, their fate might force them to part ways once again.

This series comes to a conclusion and I think I speak for everyone when I say this was a waste of potential for the most part but still, I can't help but think this is still a sorta bittersweet ending.

Dan Didio brings the final chapter and the last battle is pretty by the numbers with very little to appreciate in terms of action or even important moments, even the character moments are as predictable as you can get with both Will and the Metal Men realizing that they're better together which is pretty much what everyone saw coming and basically makes the whole point of Will being a manipulative ass pointless. Also, for some reason Didio brings back Sideways here which I suppose is because of his connection to the character but makes very little relevance in the grand scheme of things (although I got a bit of a laugh once that he mentions all the "New Age" heroes from Death Metal considering that most of them have been forgotten).

The best part, for me at least, comes at the end when the whole cast says goodbye and I think is a genuinely sad segment despite that they all promise to keep in touch. It all makes sense when a Didio-like character appears and says farewell to everyone again which reflects what happened with him leaving DC Comics. Didio's tenure at DC had bad moments, lots of bad moments in fact but I still think he had a good amount of love for the medium and characters (some more than others of course) so is still a melancholic conclusion in that regard.

Shane Davis remains in art duties and his work is still serviceable at best with passable character models and storytelling.

Yeah, the execution never managed to properly exploit the promise of the premise but I still can't hate this finale. I guess endings like this are my weakness.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario