martes, 17 de agosto de 2021

Some thoughts about Shazam #2


Can Billy Batson survive in hell? 

Billy is trying to figure out what happened to his powers and to do so he will have to go through one of the worst places in the Multiverse.

Yeah, I missed the first issue because of very serious real life issues but I went through it a bit and I think that was for the better since I don't think is fair to go through more terrible Teen Titans Academy material by Tim Sheridan to finally reach the character that I actually care about. Seriously, that first issue had too much of that terrible other book that this might as well be a cursed spin-off (Beast Boy repeating how much he hates Crisis is just lazy and cringey writing), I don't even know why both series need to be so connected and the bigger mystery is why DC puts someone like Sheridan in charge of both.

This issue follows the same awful path since to reach this particular setting we need to give the focus to yet another new character from Teen Titans Academy that I couldn't care less about. This is not me hating everything that is new, this is me hating Sheridan's complete lack of skill at creating endearing material and this is not only limited to the stuff he invented but also to his way to portray Billy Batson, his terrible ending in Future State should have been enough of a clue but this version of Billy is far from the flawed person who Geoff Johns was portraying during his previous series and is not even interesting in that regard.

Speaking of Future State, this is obviously continuing the plot-points that Sheridan cemented there and I just can't help but ask why? That ending was so dull that I don't think anyone was clamoring for more. It doesn't help that the writer's dialogue is terrible and no just because you address how terrible it is ("No more gambling puns" ugh), it doesn't make it any better.

Clayton Henry's artwork is pretty solid though with expressive and flexible character models. He deserves to be in better books.

Aside from that, waste of paper. Not sure where this is even going.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario