miércoles, 8 de junio de 2016

Some thoughts about Lumberjanes/Gotham Academy #1

The weirdest students in the world are about to meet.

A professor from Gotham Academy is missing and Olive knows that is up to them to find her. However, there are other people around with the same idea.

You can't honestly say that you saw this coming.

I'm going to be honest about this: I don't know much about Lumberjanes, I know enough about the nature of the title and premise but I'm not a regular reader. However, I do know a lot about Gotham Academy and considering that such book already has an indie feel, I guess it makes a certain amount of sense for both titles to get crossover. Still, this definitely came out of left field and makes me wonder, does it deliver in terms of entertainment?

Well, I guess it does but I think I'm missing something here.

Chynna Clugston Flores is in charge of the story and is not a bad premise per se. It connects both groups in a logical way (although the fact that these characters exist in the same universe is still questionable) and she manages to depict all the members from Gotham Academy accurately so she definitely did her homework in that regard.

Then again, I'm not particularly impressed yet. The characterization is on-point but it doesn't offer a lot of surprises about the cast and, this might be because I know practically nothing about them but I don't really care about the Lumberjanes characters. The writing doesn't do a good job to make invested in them and certainly not make me read their own series (Despite that I have been interested in the past).

The plot doesn't progress much and is not particularly intriguing either so there's not a lot to appreciate there.

Rosemary Valero-O'Connell handles the artwork and it fits the Lumberjanes series more than it does Gotham Academy thanks to her cartoony style with kinda deformed characters. Is not bad but I would prefer someone like Mingjue Helen Chen handling the pencils, her cover was fantastic.

I don't think this is a bad but it needed more to make me compelled to read more.

No hay comentarios.:

Publicar un comentario